Thursday, April 7, 2011

Public Domain/Creative Commons Shakuhachi Honkyoku



There seems to be some question as to the rights of the scans I have linked to and I am exploring the validity of those claims based upon the fact that these identical scores were originally published in the middle 1930s and contained no copyright notice.

The protest to my link to the scans are based on the presumption that the scans were scanned from a 1972 artifact that did contain a copyright notice. Only the 1972 artifact (and thereafter) is copyrighted. The scans that I have linked to are taken from artifacts of the original 1930s printing that do not have a copyright notice.

Although I am confident that the person who has objected to the link is sincere in his/her desire to "preserve tradition," what we seem to have here is an attempt to suppress this notation using an appeal to authority based upon a copyright claim that did not exist on identical notation published approximately 40 years earlier.

I will revisit this at a later date after I consult with people directly associated with the school of music this notation originated from.

Shakuhachi Beat is now on Facebook. Get a Facebook account and search for Shakuhachi Beat.

No comments: